We can all benefit from good posture and alignment, but unfortunately, many of us take it for granted until pain or discomfort start to set in. To keep your body functioning optimally, it is important to find a chiropractor in Brighton who can provide regular advice on how to maintain good posture and alignment.
From sitting at a desk all day to dealing with the strain of heavy lifting – poor posture and alignment can take their toll on our health. Fortunately, there are a number of things we can do to strengthen our bodies and improve our posture. Here, we’ve gathered advice from a local chiropractor in Brighton – Body & Soul Chiropractic – to help you look after your body with ease.
What is Good Posture?
Good posture is not one-size-fits-all. Depending on what activity you’re doing or how long you plan on standing/sitting, your stance could look slightly different. In general, though, good posture has the following features:
- A neutral spine – your back should be straight and evenly spaced between your shoulder blades
- Your chin held high, but not too far up – looking forward rather than down or up
- The chest is held high and extended outwards, with your shoulder blades in line
- Abdomen pulled in towards the spine – creating an ‘S-shaped curve that keeps the spine supported
If these guidelines sound like something you struggle with achieving then fear not! With a few simple tips and efficient exercises, you soon will find success in mastering good posture.
Tips from a Local Chiropractor in Brighton
Here are some practical tips for improving your posture from Body & Soul Chiropractic located here in Brighton:
- Stand tall – always remember to pull your shoulders back when standing so that they are aligned over your hips
- Break up any prolonged periods seated or standing by taking movement breaks throughout the day– go for a walk, stretch or do some squats! Allowing yourself time to move helps to keep muscles loose and encourages flow through the joints where they attach bone to bone
- Be mindful of how you sit – use chairs with lumbar support (or place cushions behind the lower back) and cross your feet at the ankles when seated
- Wear comfortable shoes wherever possible – if you’re going to be on your feet for most of the day invest in supportive footwear such as shoes with arch support or sneakers with cushioning
When it comes to improving posture it’s also important to include exercises that focus specifically on strengthening areas such as core muscles that hold us upright throughout many activities throughout the day. Here are some great exercises recommended by Body & Soul Chiropractic located here in Brighton:
- Plank hold exercise – Start by getting into an elbow plank position and ensure correct form (hips raised level with one another). Maintain this position while focusing on keeping abdominals tight throughout the entire duration before relaxing abs slowly over 3 seconds Do 2 sets of 10 reps each morning/night OR 1 set of 20 reps during lunch break.
- Deep Squats– Begin by setting feet slightly wider than hip-width apart then slowly lower bottom towards the floor until thighs become parallel with the ground; keeping abdominals pulled tightly inward (engaged) Hold for 3 seconds before returning back up into starting position. Do 5-15 reps per session.
- Wall Presses– Whilst facing the wall press palms flat against the wall just above head height; extending arms fully Extend legs backwards at the same time so that both heels press firmly into the ground Maintain this position whilst stretching arms further away from the wall; holding for 3 seconds before relaxing Repeat 10 times This activity helps build strength through upper/lower back helping improve overall postural alignment4 Push Volleys– Stand upright whilst using hands as paddles to hit an imaginary volleyball Aim is to use arms only when side flexing without bending at the waist; alternating sides continuously Continue motion 15 times per side(ideally 2x daily). This exercise helps create a balance between the left/right sides building agility through movement patterns and aiding better body control
These exercises focus heavily on improving core strength which can help stabilize body structure enabling improved posture over time As well as self-help practices daily we highly recommend visiting our chiropractor located here in Brighton (Body&Soul Chiro). Our specialist team offer natural holistic treatment including spinal adjustments, soft tissue therapy, rehabilitation etc all within our warm comfortable clinic environment. Call today!
Performing these activities will help immensely yet please pay attention when symptoms persist longer than expected as this can often indicate other underlying issues So if you’re looking for professionals here who specialize in musculoskeletal, and preventive healthcare then why not book an appointment today with Body&Soul Chiropractic in Brighton. For further assistance whether further inquiries regarding health benefits or correct chiropractic care, do not hesitate to reach out!
It’s clear that posture has a huge impact on our health, and with the help of a local chiropractor in Brighton, we can easily make some important changes to our daily habits and exercises to improve our posture. With a few simple tips and efficient exercises outlined by Body & Soul Chiropractic, we can look after our bodies with ease and ensure good posture is maintained throughout the day.